[alsa-devel] Invalid PCM pointer with CMI8738 and pcm.c buffer underuns

andoru andoru.blah at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 21:05:12 CEST 2014

Continued from here: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/121575

> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/XRUN_Debug
>
> # Enable basic debugging and dump stack, check hardware pointer on the
> period update
> # Usefull to just see, if PCM stream is stopped for a reason (usually wrong
> audio process timing from scheduler)
> # And to check the values from driver
>
> echo 11 > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/xrun_debug

Okay, I not compiled my own kernel with CONFIG_SND_PCM_XRUN_DEBUG,
CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS, CONFIG_SND_DEBUG all enabled in the kernel
configuration, I have an xrun_debug file, but it doesn't seem to list
anything, then I also tried with cat instead of echo, and just a 0 showed up:

$ echo 11 > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/xrun_debug
bash: /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/xrun_debug: Permission denied

# echo 11 > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/xrun_debug
bash: /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/xrun_debug: Permission denied

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/xrun_debug
0