[alsa-devel] No sound with Sony VAIO VPCZ1 (ALC889)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Sep 20 00:10:23 CEST 2013

> On Thu, 2013-09-19 at 18:45 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:51:59 -0700,
> > Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > So it looks like things stalled a bit here; if you still need info from
> > > someone with an affected system I can try and do it, but you might need
> > > to walk me through it / provide patches a bit more than the above, as
> > > I'm just a dumb qa monkey :) If you can make it a bit more 'tab a, slot
> > > b' I'll try and do the testing. Thanks!
> >
> > Could you just try 3.12-rc1?
>
> Sure, I'll get on that and get back to you.

3.12 RC1:

Internal speaker playback works
Headphone playback works
Internal mic is available as an input and works

Dedicated mic jack is NOT available as an input in GNOME control center
Input line from headphone/headset jack is NOT available as an input in
GNOME control center

pavucontrol shows Internal Microphone and Microphone inputs. If I plug
my headset into the dedicated mic jack, set the pavucontrol input to
Microphone, and fiddle with the headset, I see the volume levels
bouncing around, so it looks like that is the dedicated mic jack and it
works. There does not appear to be any input channel in PA that maps to
the input line from the headphone/headset jack. Jack sensing works -
input switches between "Microphone" and "Internal Microphone" as I plug
and unplug something from the dedicated mic jack.

alsamixer shows 'Mic', 'Mic 1' and 'Internal Mic' inputs; I can't get
pavucontrol to show any input level from a headset plugged into the
headset/headphone jack no matter how I twiddle with it, though.

Overall looking pretty good except for a bug in the GNOME control panel
applet for sound and the lack of handling of the input line from the
headphone/headset jack (I don't know if this ever worked in the past,
anyway, I only finally figured out what all the inputs actually are in
the context of this thread).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey