[alsa-devel] Fwd: Re: Realtek ALC889: HDA Intel and kernel 3.1 gives choppy sound (again)

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at herbesfolles.org
Wed Sep 18 19:00:49 CEST 2013

TL;DR: OMG I'm an idiot, just forget about those mails.

Le 16/09/2013 23:26, David Henningsson a écrit :
> On 09/14/2013 04:19 PM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> This bug is still present as of current master (3.11.0+) -- jack
>> detection is still broken with my Realtek ALC889 on a MSI H55M-E33.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Well, in the last year or two the following additions have been made to
> the kernel:
>
>  1) jackpoll_interval as a module parameter - turns off unsol events and
> instead polls the jack connection at the interval you specify

I tried it and it didn't help, because the whole jack detection thing
failed, so it only lead to fewer but longer cuts.

>  2) Kernel automute can (for almost all cards, I believe) be disabled by
> setting a mixer control named "Automute mode"

That's what I initially did, and it fixed my problem 'til PA started to
see those events.

> ...and you can disable jack detection in PulseAudio by commenting out
> all sections with the jack you want to disable, the files are in
> /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/*

Good to know, thanks.

> Btw, just a wild theory, because I'm really not a subject matter expert:
> since this is a home-built computer (I assume), I wonder if this could
> be a very hardware near problem - i e, is the cable to the front panel
> chassi very close to something that gives out a lot of EMI disturbance
> or something like that?

You're a genius and I'm a total idiot.  I never though it could be it,
but apparently I overlooked the AC'97 front panel connection chart for
HDA pins.  Since I didn't check how I plugged it previously I won't be
sure, but I'd think I did plug FP_RET_R to the SENSE_SEND pin -- which
without a surprise leads to weird stuff.

I'm terribly, terribly sorry for all the noise, and for wasting your
time.  Sorry.

Regards,
Colomban