[alsa-devel] Roland UA-55 (snd-usb-audio)

Michael Findlater michael.findlater at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 20:37:11 CEST 2013

Hello there!

I am attempting to use the Roland UA-55, which apparently should work
after recent changes were made for support for Roland devices by
Clemens Ladisch. I am using the 3.11 kernel upon Debian sid. The
device shows in /proc/asound/cards but does not seem to work.

The GNOME volume mixer it shows the device as a "QUAD-CAPTURE Analog
Surround 4.0", but I am not sure whether this is correct.

When I select the card as the output device and try to play to it,
nothing will play, 'aplay' does not work either (I hear nothing). If I
turn the headphone output knob on the device up I hear a very soft
static in my right ear.

'alsamixer' reports that 'This sound device does not have any controls.'

I do not know where to go from here, but have ran the "Alsa
Information Script", an output of this is available at:

I am stuck with how to proceed to debug the issue. If at all possible,
I would be grateful if someone is able to point me in the right

Best regards,

Michael Findlater