[alsa-devel] USB Audio initialization race

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Sat Sep 14 01:47:50 CEST 2013

2013-09-13 17:06, Alan Stern skrev:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013, David Henningsson wrote:

>>> The driver probably doesn't know when all the interfaces have been
>>> probed.
>> I'm unsure if you mean "the usb driver" or "the usb audio driver" in the
>> sentence above, but the USB driver would enumerate all interfaces and
>> call the usb audio driver for every interface, and so the USB driver
>> would know when all the interfaces have been probed, right?
> I'm not sure what you mean by "the USB driver".  The USB core registers
> all the interfaces, which causes them to be probed.  The USB core does
> know when all the interfaces have been registered.
Ok.
>> Is there a way the USB audio driver can subscribe, or get an additional
>> callback of some sort, when that happens?
> No, not currently.

Given the use case we have here, do you think that would be a reasonable
solution to the problem?

>>> Maybe it would be better to send a signal to userspace each
>>> time snd_card_register is called, even if nothing is done.
>> That sounds very suboptimal, given that PulseAudio's probing mechanism
>> can be quite heavy (depending on the device).

As Clemens said, there are device nodes being added, but having a look
at how this is handled in udev's 78-sound-card.rules [1], the rule has a
big comment section in the beginning. This comment claims that |"||The
control device node creation can be used as synchronization point". I
understand this will happen on the first call to snd_card_register, and
only then.|

>>> Alternatively, when the first interface is probed, the driver could
>>> claim all the other interfaces belonging to the same association.
>> Not sure how well that would work out with "composite" devices, e g
>> headset with volume up/down buttons?
> Presumably the HID interface (with the button controls) would not be in
> the audio interface association.  Anyway, the audio driver wouldn't
> claim anything that wasn't an audio interface.
Ok, I'll trust you to know this better than me. :-)

I'm not sure exactly what "claim all the other interfaces belonging to
the same association" means, but if it means it can enumerate all those
interfaces it has claimed but not yet probed, maybe the USB audio driver
can use this information to avoid calling snd_card_register until after
probing the last interface?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic