[alsa-devel] Hello

Michael Jordan jordan.mymail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 05:12:24 CEST 2013

Hello Gururaja,

If I am trying to ask some questions about the alsa system, do I need
to copy somebody directly to get a response? I have posted about 4
questions on the group in the last few months, and I have not even
gotten a slap on the hand.

The reason I am contacting you is you have mentioned working on the
TLV320AIC3X which is the chip used on the OMAPL138 board that we have.
I am attempting to write a driver for a PCM3168A which we have already
constructed a board for, and plugs into the 100 pin audio expander
connecter. I have the basic draft of a driver, but everything in the
code seems to be fairly strongly coded for the DA850 boards to use the
TLV320AIC. I can prevent it loading, and my module will load, but
things are not "connecting" internally. I assumed that I would need to
make some changes in the arch/arm/mach-davinci/board-da850-evm.c.

However what I am running into is chasing me up a trail that eventually
has me modifying mach-types.h and creating a whole new board
configuration. I said ok, so I copied board-da850-evm.c to
board-da850-evm-mod.c which made it necessary for me to begin modifying
some Kconfig's, etc., and I still cannot get the kernel to compile with
the new kernel driver.

I just need to know, am I heading down the wrong path with this? I have
a pcm3168a.c and pcm3168a.h which have a basic structure for the new
codec, but I cannot figure out how to get the system to actually use it
because it basically appears that the TLV320AIC3X is "hard-wired" into
the system.

Help please,

Michael