[alsa-devel] Documentation Request

Felix Homann linuxaudio at showlabor.de
Wed Sep 4 08:04:17 CEST 2013

Am 04.09.2013 05:16 schrieb "Carl Canuck" <carl.canuck.official at gmail.com>:

> > 7.  Is it really so unreasonable to ask for a basic example of a common
> > use-case for ALSA without being told that I should just abandon the
quest
> > for that knowledge and put my faith in the Jack developers?

It is unreasonable to think of *your* use case as a *common* use case for
ALSA. It is a common use-case for Jack. I don't know of any program doing
all of this on plain ALSA grounds (maybe except for Pd which ironically
doesn't work for me with the ALSA driver but only with Jack.)
Moreover, using Jack is (almost) the only reliable way to get full duplex
audio on some implicit feedback USB interfaces because it implicitly works
around a current (still?) limitation of the ALSA driver.

Regards, Felix