[alsa-devel] async between dmaengine_pcm_dma_complete and snd_pcm_release

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Wed Oct 9 13:00:08 CEST 2013

Added Vinod to Cc.

On 10/09/2013 12:23 PM, Qiao Zhou wrote:
> On 10/09/2013 04:30 PM, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

>>> I think this is a general problem with your dmaengine driver, nothing audio
>>> specific. If the callback is able to run after dmaengine_terminate_all() has
>>> returned successfully there is a bug in the dmaengine driver. You need to
> The terminate_all runs after callback, and they run just very close on
> different cores. should soc-dmaengine add such protection anyway?

The problem is that if there is a race, that the callback races against the
freeing of the prtd, then there is also the chance that the callback races
against the freeing of the substream. So in that case, e.g. with your patch,
you'd try to lock a mutex for which the memory already has been freed. So we
need a way to synchronize against the callbacks, i.e. makes sure that non of
the callbacks are running anymore at a given point. And only after that
point we are allowed to free the memory that is referenced in the callback.

>>> make sure that none of the callbacks is called after terminate_all() has
>>> finished and you probably also have to make sure that the tasklet has
>>> completed, if it is running at the same time as the call to
>>> dmaengine_terminate_all().
> In case the callback is executed no later than terminate_all on different
> cores, then we have to wait until the callback finishes. right? anything
> better method?
>>
>> On the other hand that last part could get tricky as the
>> dmaengine_terminate_all() might be call from within the callback.
> It's tricky indeed in case xrun happens. we should avoid possible deadlock.

I think we'll eventually need to versions of dmaengine_terminate_all(). A
sync version which makes sure that the tasklet has finished and a non-sync
version that only makes sure that no new callbacks are started. I think the
sync version should be the default with an optional async version which must
be used, if it can run from within the callback. So we'd call the async
version in the pcm_trigger callback and the sync version in the pcm_close
callback.

- Lars