[alsa-devel] [RFC] ASoC: pcm: Trigger all commands on error

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Mon Oct 7 19:27:06 CEST 2013

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 12:53:17PM +0200, Markus Pargmann wrote:

> In case of a start command, the calling function will call undo_start,
> calling this trigger function with the stop command. It will call stop
> for each function. But only the first function was started previously.
> The other functions may fail in the assumption that a stop command
> always comes after a start command.

> As the API does not specify the behaviour of trigger functionpointers, I
> think this should be fixed in the function calling the trigger
> functionpointers.

> This patch changes the behaviour. The trigger function calls all
> functionpointers independent of their returncodes. The first error-code
> is returned.

I'm not sure if this will resolve the problem robustly - if something is
going to get confused about this it seems just as likely that the
trigger that failed will get upset because it gets a _STOP after
returning an error from _START.  I think what I'd expect here is that
the unwind on error would unwind only the triggers that it successfully
ran.  Equally well I'd be a bit surprised if a trigger function actually
had a problem with extra _STOPs since they mostly just do register
writes...  did you see this from code inspection or were you resolving a
practical problem in your system?