[alsa-devel] [RFC/RFT v2 0/4] ALSA: hda - hdmi: ATI/AMD multi-channel and HBR support

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Sat Oct 5 01:39:50 CEST 2013

04.10.2013 10:06, Olivier Langlois kirjoitti:
> Anssi,
>
> Your patch has been applied on 3.11.3

OK.

>> I'm especially interested in testers with:
>>
>> - Older codecs other than 0x1002aa01. My best guess still is that the
>>   new code works on them as well.
>>   o On these I'd like to know if multichannel and the new formats
>>     work, i.e. e.g.
>>     speaker-test -D hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0 -c8 -r192000 -F S32_LE
>
> This is working with Codec 0x1002aa01 revisions 0x100300 (Rev ID 3)
> except for a small detail. I cannot tell if it is a regression from v1
> of the patch or it was there and I did not noticed when I tested.
>
> Rear left and rear right channels are flipped.

Thanks for testing.

That seems a bit strange, I would've expected everything to be flipped
if there was a bug there.

Are you sure about that? Note that speaker-test speaker order is
reversed in the rear when compared to front, i.e. "front left, front
right, center, rear right, rear left", since it uses a circular pattern.

If you can confirm this, could you enable SND_CONFIG_DEBUG and
SND_CONFIG_DEBUG_VERBOSE and CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK, and then provide
the dmesg during playback?

Thanks.

>> - Codec 0x1002aa01 revisions 0x100300 (Rev ID 3) or later (see
>>   /proc/asound/cardX/codec#Y). These are HD7750+ I think. Stuff to be
>>   tested on these:
>>   o The ramp up/down stuff, i.e. patch 4. Is there any difference seen
>>     with these, in the beginning/end (i.e. fade-out/in):
>>     speaker-test -D hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0,AES0=0x04 -c2 -r48000
>
> No noticeable difference than when it is run without the AES0 param
>
>>     speaker-test -D hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0,AES0=0x06 -c2 -r48000
>
> From the application the sound is sent normally but no sound at all is
> outputed from the speakers.
>
>>     Also, is there a difference in the beginning of these
>>     (maybe garbage sound and/or slightly slower startup?):
>>     aplay -Dhdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0,AES0=4 -r44100 -f s16_le -c2 testi.dts.cut.spdif
>>     aplay -Dhdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0,AES0=6 -r44100 -f s16_le -c2 testi.dts.cut.spdif
>
> Both works. No garbage is heard from neither of them. maybe maybe AES04
> starts playing few ms earlier but if there is a difference, it is
> extremely subtle.

OK, that is actually reverse what I would've expected.

Takashi, do you think we should add the ramp-up/down setting (to spec
recommended pcm/non-pcm values) anyway?

>>   o Contents of /proc/asound/cardX/eld#0. I'd like to see the contents
>>     both with radeon and with the proprietary fglrx driver in use
>>
> With fglrx 13.10 Beta 2:
>
> lano1106 at whippet2 /proc/asound/card0 $ cat codec#0

Note I said eld#0, not codec#0 :)

Though I guess the correct filename is actually eld#0.0.

[...]

--
Anssi Hannula