[alsa-devel] [RFC] ALSA: add new alsa control byte extended

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Fri Nov 29 13:27:19 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 12:31:37PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Mark Brown wrote:

> > I'd expect them to be handleable with standard tools, from a user
> > perspective these things are just another setting that gets applied when
> > changing use case like volumes and routing so manipulating the settings
> > in a separate place seems wrong - at the level where you're applying
> > them it's all part of the same set of data.

> Basically agreed, but OTOH, size matters, too.  What if there are a
> few MB data for several different control elements?  I don't think
> managing them in the same text alsa.state file is so sensible.

That's definitely something people doing tooling would need to consider
- there's also things like only saving changes or splitting the
  configuration up into reusable components rather than having complete
configs for each use case in order to keep the sizes down.  Even without
worrying about coefficients the sizes of the configuration files can get
large very quickly with a naive implementation.