[alsa-devel] [RFC] ALSA: add new alsa control byte extended

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Fri Nov 29 12:46:03 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 03:59:37PM +0530, Vinod Koul wrote:

> I think this would a bit problematic for DSPs with large controls. We are
> looking at 3 digit number already and splitting to multiple calls is going to be
> bad from a already constrained latency problem.

System call overhead on Linux is pretty light, and we can probably
arrange for the implementations to know if the algorithm is running and
start doing the I/O immediately if it's not.

> I am leading more towards adding new ioctl for this along with new ones for
> enumerating controls. Then additional support for alsa-lib and tinyalsa.
> That way existing tinymix, amxier can see these as controls while not disturbing
> existing apps. I dont think we need save and restor, then alsactl need not be
> modified.

I doubt you need it specifically for alsactl since that's a bit basic
for most of the users but it would be good to have the ability to write
tools that allow people to tune interactively and then save the results
in a format that's useful for whatever use case management is in use.