[alsa-devel] HD-Audio: How to reduce driver initializaton time if multiple codecs present on the bus?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Nov 29 07:30:48 CET 2013

2013-11-28 22:57, Lin, Mengdong skrev:
> Hi Takashi,
> We're trying to reduce the HD-A driver initialization time when more than one codecs are connected to the bus, but are blocked.
> Would you please share some advices on this?
> Usually, there is one HD-A controller connecting to two codecs: one on-board codec and one integrated display codec.
> During initialization, the codecs are created and configured in a serial way.
> Creating a codec may cost 6~20ms, and then building controls make cost about 15~30ms.

Sorry for interrupting, but I just wonder - I assume you have a maximum
of 4 CPUs. Can't the other 3 CPUs be used to load other non-audio
hardware in parallel instead? It sounds you're going to run into lock
contention instead if you try to modify the same card from two threads

David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.