[alsa-devel] Audio Mini Conference Minutes - Edinburgh 21st October 2013

Wang Xingchao wangxingchao2011 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 02:39:36 CET 2013

Hi Anssi Hannula ,

2013/11/22 Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula at iki.fi>:
> 21.11.2013 20:22, Mark Brown kirjoitti:

>>> Afaik, no one is using high Bit rate audio atm, but there is increasing
>>> interest amongst Android OEMs.
>>
>> There's a few things shipped doing 192kHz/24 bit - the LG G2 was one of
>> the first IIRC.
>
> At least Wang Xingchao seems to be talking specifically about HBR in
> relation to HDMI specification, i.e. compressed audio, not PCM...
>
> HBR audio is the way high-bitrate (over 6.144Mbps) compressed IEC 61937
> streams are bitstreamed through HDMI. The only such formats supported by
> IEC 61937 are DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD (MAT), used on e.g. Blu-ray discs.
>
> The only in-tree ALSA driver supporting HDMI HBR is HDA, AFAICS.

I think that depends on vendor's HDMI controller, not only the HDMI
Specification version.
And HDA seems the first one claims supporting HBR, i donot see any
other ARM based Soc
has such claim.

Lots of HD video sources are using HBR audio, and lots of set-top
boxes/TV(ARM based) have
the requirements to paly HBR audio in HDMI passthrough mode. Currently
the solution is from vendor specific, they downmix HBR audio
into 5.1 or Stereo.

thanks
--xingchao