[alsa-devel] udev rules prefix

Ivailo Monev xakepa10 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 13:08:47 CET 2013

On 11/14/13 02:48, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 11/13/2013 09:36 PM, Ivailo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> the default prefix for alsa-utils is /usr however the udev rules directory
>> is /lib/udev/rules.d thus on setups with separate partition for /usr the
>> binaries, from /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, will likely not be available during
>> the boot process and the udev rule will fail to restore the state.
>>
>> I suggest that the udev rules directory follows the prefix or append /usr
>> to it to resolve this.
>>
>> Cheers!
> Hi,
>
> ALSA merely follows what udev dictates, so I think your
> question/suggestion is better redirected on the udev (now systemd)
> mailinglist. Or potentially that of your distro.

Actually, you are not following what udev dictates (unless I'm missing
something).
By default, systemd (and more importantly udev) will be installed with
/usr prefix
(which is wrong in it self because it blindly assumes that /usr has been
mounted
via initrd/initramfs where separate /usr partition is in use but let's
not talk about
this here).

On 11/14/13 06:45, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 13 Nov 2013 20:36:48 +0000,
> Ivailo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> the default prefix for alsa-utils is /usr however the udev rules directory
>> is /lib/udev/rules.d thus on setups with separate partition for /usr the
>> binaries, from /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, will likely not be available during
>> the boot process and the udev rule will fail to restore the state.
> Not true.  /lib must be always present at boot even if /usr isn't
> mounted.  That's the reason why /lib/udev was chosen as default in the
> past.
>

> Takashi
You got me wrong, I know that /lib should be available on early boot
(unless it's a
symlink, like in Arch Linux) but the point is that since the alsa-utils
binaries are
installed in /usr so should be the udev rules otherwise during boot
without /usr
being mounted you will see error message about /usr/sbin/alsactl.