[alsa-devel] [patch] [ALSA] sb16 - info leak in snd_sb_csp_ioctl()

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu Nov 7 10:17:01 CET 2013

At Thu, 7 Nov 2013 12:09:47 +0300,
Dan Carpenter wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 09:48:08AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Thu, 7 Nov 2013 11:09:54 +0300,
> > Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > >
> > > There is a 2 byte hole after "info.func_nr" so we could leak unitialized
> > > stack information to userspace.
> > >
> > > Fixes: 1da177e4c3f4 ('Linux-2.6.12-rc2')
> >
> > Does this help at all?  It means that the bug has been there even
> > before moving to git.  I think it's better to be removed for avoid
> > confusion.
>
> I think if you are back porting it then you know it goes back all the
> way.  That seems useful.

Yeah, I understand the usefulness of the tag.  But my understanding is
that this is used for pointing a regression point.  However, in this
particular case, the commit you pointed there isn't the actual commit
introducing the bug.  It's the genesis commit containing everything.

> The Fixes tag is still new so it's not totally clear what the rules are.
> I don't have strong feelings about this either way.

OK, then let me drop that tag in this case.

thanks,