[alsa-devel] [RFC] ALSA: usb: supply channel maps even when wChannelConfig is unspecified

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Nov 4 10:47:18 CET 2013

On 11/04/2013 10:31 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:20:12 +0100,
> David Henningsson wrote:
>>
>> On 11/04/2013 09:58 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> In the case of USB-audio, I guess this is OK to fill the guessed
>>> chmaps, especially for the mono channel.  So I can take this patch if
>>> you already tested on your device.

>>> The chmap is just an optional information, thus excluding the format
>>> due to the lack of chmap doesn't sound right.  The lack of chmap means
>>> merely that the hardware doesn't give the chmap information, but the
>>> format itself must be available.
>>>
>>> So, in the case of PA, I'd expect it handles such a format as is of
>>> now, just guessing / using the pre-defined chmaps.
>>
>> Ok, can you clarify this (theoretical) example:
>>
>> I wanted to use the channel mapping API to distinguish between 2.1
>> surround and 4.0 surround.
>> Now assume we're connected to some device, successfully set hw params to
>> four output channels.
>> When then asking for maps through query_chmaps, it returns one chmap
>> only, and its value is "FL FR".
>
> Was this the case with USB-audio?  Or which device did you see this
> behavior?
>
>> What should PA do in this situation?
>>
>>  1) Skip both 2.1 and 4.0 surround, after all, it supports only FL FR chmap.
>>
>>  2) Allow both 2.1 and 4.0 surround, since we did not get a chmap that
>> had the same amount of channels as we set the hwparams to.
>>
>>  3) Either option 1 or 2, but also complain loudly about the fact that
>> we set the hwparams to 4 channels but got a chmap that wasn't 4
>> channels, and ask ALSA developers to fix the driver.
>
> In that case, I'd take 1.  If the driver returns any valid chmap
> information associated with the given PCM, it should cover all cases.
> OTOH, I'd add a flag to ignore the chmap information in PA, too, in
> case the driver (or hardware) returns bogus information.
>
> IMO, in such a case, it's fairly unlikely a driver problem.
> At least for the driver like USB-audio and HD-audio.  It's the
> situation where hardware doesn't inform which chmaps are available,
> thus the driver cannot advertise as well.  If so, there is no reason
> that driver must apply any policy.  Rather it's free for user-space
> how to interpret it.

So, my USB headset supplies wChannelConfig, but not for all cases. I've
posted lsusb -v here: http://bpaste.net/show/146566/ if you're interested.

So while the stream supported both mono and stereo output, only the
stereo output had chmap information, so when I set the hwparams channels
to 1, I only got "FL FR" back as chmap information. So my situation was
similar to the above scenario.

So, as a conclusion, if 1) is the right choice above, then I think my
patch makes sense. I should probably test it first though, which I was
too lazy to do on a Friday afternoon last week. :-)

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic