[alsa-devel] UCM {Supported,Conflicting}Device confusion

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed May 29 17:12:42 CEST 2013

On 05/29/2013 04:55 AM, Juho Hämäläinen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Firstly as a sidenote, Supported/Conflicting is checked only one-way, if
> say devices A and B are enabled and say B has ConflictingDevice "C", and
> device C doesn't list anything, enabling of C is possible (and after
> that disabling C is not possible before B is disabled first).

It's been a long time since I touched the ConflictingDevice stuff, but
IIRC the idea was that every device would include a complete list of
Supported/Conflicting Devices, so there was only a need to check "one way".

> Now, looking at the way SupportedDevice and ConflictingDevice are
> implemented in ucm and I came to following conclusion:
>
> If no SupportedDevice or ConflictingDevice: All devices and combinations
> are compatible, so implicit "SupportedDevice ALL".
>
> If SupportedDevice is listed: Device can be enabled as long as at least
> one enabled device is in SupportedDevice list.
>
> If ConflictingDevice is listed: Device can be enabled if none of active
> devices are in ConflictingDevice list (noting aforementioned limit in
> checking this)
>
> This is at least how I figured all combinations of multiple devices can
> be defined with only zero or one either SupportedDevice or
> ConflictingDevice entry per device.
>
> Did I understand this right?

That sounds about right, from my rusty memory.

Oh, the commit log specifies the behaviour: