[alsa-devel] How to specify data format if playback/capture were different ?

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Sat May 25 22:03:45 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 08:18:09PM -0700, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:

> > I think it is rather unusual that you want or need to set different formats
> > for capture and playback. Especially when BCLK and LRCLK are shared. That's
> > probably why it isn't supported yet.

> This (playback and capture wer different format) is first case for me.
> Maybe ak4554 is very special.
> OK, I understand, thank you very much

The reason this is only supported is that there's an assumption that the
DAI will have the same clocks for both directions - if the clocks can be
formatted differently then it looks a lot like two separate interfaces.

It's also a bit odd to want to use different formats, there's rarely any
reason to do that.