[alsa-devel] regression: from 3.8 to 3.9: headphones output no sound on Intel HDA, codec VIA VT1802

Alex Riesen raa.lkml at gmail.com
Sat May 18 22:29:57 CEST 2013

Sorry for delayed replies. I have not much time for this lately.

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>> Well... It seems that something went unnoticed. This command seems
>> to be essential for this (and the revised) patch to get the headphone
>> output at all:
>>
>>         hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x25 SET_PIN_WID 0xc0
>
> Do you mean that the headphone doesn't work without this even after
> the patch?  It's weird that the alsa-info.sh output you attached below
> already contains it, i.e. 0x25 showing 0xc0.

Yes. It is after the latest patch.

> Or, is the attached output the result after you ran hda-verb like the
> above?

Er, yes.

>> It does. And there is no output from the speakers.
>
> Hmm.  I'm confused.  I thought you mentioned that the speaker is
> unmuted?

I think I am as confused as you, if not more. I redid the tests
but recorded everything this time with script(1). It is without
timing information (would be boring anyway, with me figuring
the arguments), so just cat it. Just in case: it sets xterm title.
The transcript is in headphone.gz.

> - Use the patched kernel, play without headphone, confirm that the
>   speaker works.  Get alsa-info.sh output at this point.

That's 3.9.2-wo-headphone.alsa.gz

> - Plug the headphone, play, and check whether the headphone works and
>   the speaker is muted.
>   Again, get alsa-info.sh output at this point, no matter whether the
>   headphone works or not.

That's 3.9.2-w-headphone.alsa.gz. Headphone not working, speakers
correctly muted.

> In anyway, if you make things working, please give exactly what you
> did, and take again alsa-info.sh output, too.

3.9.2-w-headphone-working.alsa.gz. The working state is lost after
unplugging and replugging the headphones. It is different to the
case when the alternate channel is used (Independent HP): replugging
does not break the output than.

Sorry for confusion and thanks!

Regards,
Alex