[alsa-devel] module dependency between i915 and snd-hda-intel

Wang, Xingchao xingchao.wang at intel.com
Fri May 17 11:55:13 CEST 2013

Hi Takashi,

Seems kernel building will determine the module loading sequence, this would fix the dependency for i915 and snd-hda-intel.
If we call the i915 module API directly in snd-hda-intel side, kernel building will change the module.dep accordingly like:
"
kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko: kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko kernel/drivers/gpu/dr     m/drm_kms_helper.ko kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko kernel/drivers/i2c/algos/i2c-algo-bit.ko kerne     l/drivers/acpi/video.ko kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko ker     nel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko kernel/sound/core/snd.ko kernel/sound/s     oundcore.ko kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko
"
So snd-hda-intel will wait for i915 loading. Even I added i915 into blacklist.conf, it will force load i915.ko.

So I think the only bad case is no i915 module built-in, that would cause haswell hda initialize fail, and the patch would output error message.

thanks
--xingchao