[alsa-devel] regression: from 3.8 to 3.9: headphones output no sound on Intel HDA, codec VIA VT1802

Alex Riesen raa.lkml at gmail.com
Thu May 16 22:10:47 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> So, we need to disable the widgets power control in patch_via.c
> completely as a quick workaround.  Could you check whether the patch
> below is OK (except for the possible headphone mute issue)?

Well... It seems that something went unnoticed. This command seems
to be essential for this (and the revised) patch to get the headphone
output at all:

        hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x25 SET_PIN_WID 0xc0

I also used to run the other command after unplugging and re-plugging
(without it, the headphone is muted after re-plugging):

        hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x25 SET_EAPD 0x02

But running

        hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x24 SET_EAPD 0x03

also helps to restore the headphone output after re-plugging.

> Regarding the headphone mute: after confirming the headphone itself
> is working with the patch, please give alsa-info.sh outputs again
> with and without the headphone plug.

Attached.

> Then, at the headphone plugged (and the speaker is still audible
> wrongly), take a look at /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 file.
> Look for "Node 0x24", and check whether Pin-ctls item shows 0x00.

It does. And there is no output from the speakers.

> In the former case (0x00), try to run like:
>
>    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x24 SET_EAPD 0x01
>
> Does it mute the speaker?  If not, make it back via

The speaker is muted with this patch, when I plug the headphone.

>    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x24 SET_EAPD 0x03

And this command will turn it on, but only if I also activate
"Independent Headphone".

> then turn to D3 via
>
>    hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x24 SET_POWER 0x03
>
> Does this mute?  In return, after unplug, it may still be muted.

These command seem to have no effect at all.

Regards,
Alex