[alsa-devel] PulseAudio and softvol

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed May 15 14:44:39 CEST 2013

At Wed, 15 May 2013 13:33:01 +0200,
David Henningsson wrote:

> On 05/15/2013 01:22 PM, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > Date 15.5.2013 13:03, David Henningsson wrote:

> >> The problem is knowing whether PCM is a softvol or not. In some cases,
> >> we need to set PCM to control hardware volume.
> >>
> >> Maybe, if we could figure this out somehow, we could ignore the PCM
> >> mixer control (or possibly set it to zero) in case PCM is a softvol,
> >> and actually use it if PCM is not a softvol.
> >>
> >> It does not look like this is currently possible from the simple mixer
> >> interface, but I might be missing something?
> >
> > It is not possible. Perhaps, we may create a new dummy mixer control (in
> > an inactive state) which will identify the presence of the softvol
> > plugin, like:
> >
> > "Softvol PCM Playback Volume" - full name for the raw control API
> > "Softvol PCM" - simple mixer name
>
> Or perhaps add a SND_CTL_NO_SOFTVOL flag that can be used in the call to
> snd_mixer_open / snd_ctl_open? That would make it somewhat consistent
> with the approach recommended for snd_pcm_open.

It'd be rather a flag to exclude the user controls, not specific to
softvol.  But, the problem is that snd_mixer_attach() takes no extra
flag argument.  So, we may need to add a new function, either defining
only the attach mode, or an equivalent function with
snd_mixer_attach() but with an extra flag argument.