[alsa-devel] regression: from 3.8 to 3.9: headphones output no sound on Intel HDA, codec VIA VT1802

Alex Riesen raa.lkml at gmail.com
Mon May 13 20:24:42 CEST 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> At Mon, 13 May 2013 17:26:04 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> At Sun, 12 May 2013 11:53:41 +0200, Alex Riesen wrote:
>> >
>> > I just noticed (use the headphones rarely) that the headphones on this
>> > System76 Lemur Ultra (lemu4) stopped working. There is absolutely no
>> > output.
>> >

>> It's strange that the pin 0x25 shows EAPD 0x00 and pin-control 0x00.
>> They should be 0x02 and 0xc0 constantly.  Is it taken at the moment
>> the headphone is plugged, right?  Please give alsa-info.sh outputs at
>> both the headphone plugged and unplugged.

Attached. Sorry for gzipping, the alsa-devel rejects two at a time: too large.

>> Could you check whether changing them makes the headphone output
>> working?  For example, get hda-verb program (see
>> Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt) and run it like
>>
>>       hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x25 SET_PIN_WID 0xc0
>>       hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x25 SET_EAPD 0x02

It helps, headphones start working.

> Also, what happens if you apply the patch below?
> -       spec->set_widgets_power_state =  set_widgets_power_state_vt2002P;
> +       //spec->set_widgets_power_state =  set_widgets_power_state_vt2002P;

This helps as well. Yay!
Thanks :) Whatever the outcome, I have them back more or less (more,
for me) properly.

Probably unrelated, but I better mention it anyway: the "Auto-Mute Mode"
works strangely, it never mutes anything but headphones. It might work
as designed, but it is useless in this case: one still has to mute the
speaker manually when plugging headphones (or do something with input
events, which I failed to get to work).

And "Independent HP" has absolutely no effect, which is probably as it
should be on this laptop.