[alsa-devel] Debian patches for ALSA

Jordi Mallach jordi at debian.org
Sat May 11 00:32:43 CEST 2013

Hi!

I've been wanting to put some order in the collection of patches we've
been building up in Debian due to me neglecting forwarding anything for
far too long.

Let's try to correct this.

I have a number of patches, most of which should be trivial and
no-brainers, all updated to 1.0.27.

I'm going to outline all the individual patches below. The patch tracker
has the patches just as I would send them upstream, but if you prefer
git formatted patches, I can go ahead and do that too, if it makes your
life easier.

Thanks!

ALSA-LIB: http://patch-tracker.debian.org/package/alsa-lib/1.0.27-3

-
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-lib/1.0.27-3/add-maintainer-mode.patch
  add-maintainer-mode.patch is something I'd like to see in all ALSA
configure scripts: have maintainer mode enabled, but add the possibility
to disable it via --disable-maintainer-mode. See
http://blogs.gnome.org/desrt/2011/09/08/am_maintainer_mode-is-not-cool/
for reference.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-lib/1.0.27-3/multiarch-safe-dlopen-search-path.patch
  The patch header is self explanatory: it fixes the plugin lookup path
for Debian/Ubuntu's multiarch paths.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-lib/1.0.27-3/spelling_fixes.patch
  Little to explain here. ;)

ALSA-UTILS: http://patch-tracker.debian.org/package/alsa-utils/1.0.27-2

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-utils/1.0.27-2/spelling_fixes.patch
  Again, trivial.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-utils/1.0.27-2/fix_misspelling_speaker-test_man_page.patch
  Even more trivial.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-utils/1.0.27-2/utils_ftbfs_format-security_fix.patch

  Fixes a build failure when using -Werror=format-security, which is
default in Debian and Uubntu's toolchain.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-utils/1.0.27-2/alsa-restore_service_improvements.patch

  This one I want to discuss. We think the After condition is wrong, as
it's depending on an optional service (alsa-state might not happen if
the config file is not present). Instead, it should be checking for
sysinit, to ensure local-fs.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-utils/1.0.27-2/manpage_fixes.patch

  Extensive formatting fixes for all alsa-utils manpages, plus an
English improvement (allows to → allows one to).

ALSA-PLUGINS:
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/package/alsa-plugins/1.0.27-2

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-plugins/1.0.27-2/arcam-av_uses_pthreads.patch
   Fix linking to avoid undefined symbols in arcam-av.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-plugins/1.0.27-2/use_libavutil.patch
   The libav changes in 1.0.27 were insufficient: a52 uses av_free(),
which is part of libavutil. The patch needs to be completed to look for
the correct header files, though, but it's enough to get the package
compiling in our setup.

ALSA-TOOLS: http://patch-tracker.debian.org/package/alsa-tools/1.0.27-2

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-tools/1.0.27-2/init_live_bashismfix.patch
   Fix trivial bashisms.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-tools/1.0.27-2/manpage_spelling.patch
   Spelling fixes.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-tools/1.0.27-2/ld10k1_format-security.patch
   More -Werror=format-security issues.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-tools/1.0.27-2/hda-verb_sys_io_h.patch
   Extend check for sys/io.h for other platforms in Debian that don't
support it. Alternatively, the check could be reversed to chef for the
architectures currently know to have the header, as stated in the
comment.
   This fixes the build in a number of Debian architectures.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-tools/1.0.27-2/envy24control_config_dir.patch
   This one is to be discussed. envy24control currently creates a
visible directory in $HOME, which is quite unacceptable. This patch just
moves the directory to a dotdir, but an upgrade path might need to be
coded. I would just move the thing away.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-tools/1.0.27-2/as10k1_examples_Makefile.patch
  For convenience to our build systems, add an alias for clean.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-tools/1.0.27-2/usx2yloader_udev.patch
   While not ready for submission, this one probably reveals a hardcoded
path that should be made configurable, if not all distros store firmware
in this dir. Not sure about Fedora, at least. /etc/hotplug looks plain
old, anyway.

ALSA-OSS: http://patch-tracker.debian.org/package/alsa-oss/1.0.25-1
  -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-oss/1.0.25-1/aoss_wrap_warning.patch

   Make it obvious aoss is not doing anything useful if ALSA is not
present.

 -
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/alsa-oss/1.0.25-1/aoss_lib_path.patch
   Fix path to libaoss on the multiarch case.

Thanks,
Jordi
jordi at sindominio.net     jordi at debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/

jordi at sindominio.net     jordi at debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/