[alsa-devel] UCM profiles taken from Ubuntu

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Fri May 10 16:22:21 CEST 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 15:56 +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> El dv 10 de 05 de 2013 a les 15:17 +0200, en/na Takashi Iwai va
> escriure:
> > At Fri, 10 May 2013 14:51:05 +0200,
> > Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> > >
> > > When I bought Samsung ARM Chromebook few months ago I had no idea
> > > about UCM profiles and burnt speakers (left is dead, right is
> > > resting). Then I learnt, took ones from ChromeOS and added them into
> > > Ubuntu so other users will be a bit more safe.
> > >
> > > Later I had a discussion with some Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora developers
> > > about how to solve such problems and how to keep UCM profiles shared
> > > between distributions.
> > >
> > > Liam Girdwood pointed me to not used git tree at ALSA Project server
> > > and finally I reminded myself about it.
> > >
> > > The idea is to collect UCM profiles, keep them in one place and create
> > > alsa-ucm package in each distribution.
>
> Thanks Marcin! This part of the Debian←→Ubuntu delta was something I
> wanted to bring up with upstream after the wheezy release.

I'll echo that thought, many thanks Marcin !

> > Would it make sense to put into alsa-lib.git?  Since UCM itself was
> > already integrated into alsa-lib and there are already tons of
> > card-based config files in alsa-lib/src/conf/*, these also fit to a
> > similar directory there, I think.
> >
> > They could be in a separate repo, but UCM config is coupled with UCM
> > code, so we may keep in the single repo.
>
> It makes sense to me, fwiw.

Agreed, the initial intention of the separate repo was to do frequent
releases that would be likely out of sync alsa-lib. But I think
combining is the best way forward now. Takashi, please feel free to
remove the other repo (I think it's mostly empty anyway).

Liam