[alsa-devel] am335x: mcasp in DIT mode

Bedia, Vaibhav vaibhav.bedia at ti.com
Mon Mar 4 11:10:06 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 13:35:10, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Daniel Mack <zonque at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Vaibhav,
> > Hi Yegor,

> >> AFAIK DIT mode was working on Davinci platforms some time back. Since AM335x
> >> has the same hardware block I was surprised to see this bug report. Not having
> >> a setup handy to test out DIT related changes, I looked at the commits on the
> >> mcasp file to figure out what happened. I suspect one of the recent patches which
> >> added 24bit support inadvertently broke the DIT support. Would it be possible
> >> for you to do a git-bisect to find out what change it was? It would be good
> >> to reference that change in the final patch.
> >
> > I agree, but I also believe it's not easy to do, given the number of
> > different trees you need for AM33xx support in general.
> >
> > You could revert them one-by-one, but then again, you probably need most
> > of them in order to make the driver work on AM33xx and in setups that
> > differ from what the davici driver was originally written for.
> >
> >> Coming to the 3 options that you have listed I would suggest going with #1.
> >> DIT mode requires the configuration to be 32 bit slot with rotation set to 24
> >> but looks like the current implementation of davinci_config_channel_size()
> >> doesn't handle this scenario very well.
> >
> > Hmm, if that's the case, I fail to see how the 24-bit patches you
> > mentioned could possibly account for that, given that they don't touch
> > the logical around this area. Unless I miss anything very obvious :) Can
> > you be a bit more specific about which of these patches you suspect?

I looked at Daniel's changes a bit closer and it has not changed the behavior.
Sorry about that. But this would also imply that DIT mode has been broken for
quite some time now :(

> I think the DIT support was dead on arrival ;-) Look at the initial
> commit: http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/sound/soc/davinci/davinci-mcasp.c?id=b67f4487295560599f6cca55fb7e8773ff27f00a
>
> Size adjustment is made after DIT mode settings and though
> davinci_config_channel_size(dev, word_length) doesn't overwrite all
> needed settings, it overwrites XSSZ value and thus disables 32-bit
> slot. Do I see it right?

I can only assume that the original author tested the code before posting it :(

I can't find anything in the spec which mentions that the slot size matters
in DIT mode. The only restriction seems to be that the valid data bits are in
bits 24:0. When the actual transmit happens other things like the preamble,
VUCP bits will get filled in and I am guessing this does not depend on the slot
size that is programmed. That's the only scenario in which the original code
could have worked.

Regards,
Vaibhav