[alsa-devel] Timestamps using I/O Plugin

Johan Hellman johan.hellman at axis.com
Mon Jun 10 10:19:31 CEST 2013

>If it was possible to override the snd_pcm_htimestamp() then the timestamp could be fetched from the I/O plugin, and snd_pcm_status()->snd_pcm_ioplug_status() could call that overridden function to fill in tstamp into the status object.  If not implemented in the I/O plugin call >snd_pcm_generic_real_htimestamp() as today.  Would this be an acceptable way forward?

Would this be an acceptable way to let a ioplugin support setting timestamps related to the monotonic system clock? The ioplugin implementation would handle the relationship between the systems monotonic clock and the audio streams clock source, making a network source transparent to alsa but the applications could synchronize different streams.

/JohanHellman