[alsa-devel] Question on wait_for_avail function

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Jun 7 12:55:40 CEST 2013

At Thu, 6 Jun 2013 18:29:35 -0000,
gsantosh at codeaurora.org wrote:

> > At Wed, 05 Jun 2013 23:25:15 -0700,
> > Patrick Lai wrote:
> >>
> >> + << Jaroslav >>

> >> in

> >> Based on my understanding of SMP_Design and response above, pause and
> >> write to same
> >> PCM device are expected to be serialized. However, my interpretation of
> >> following patch is that pause and stop are expected to wakes up process
> >> waiting in pcm_lib.c wait_for_avail(). It seems to give me the
> >> indication that multiple threads acting on same PCM device is expected.
> >>
> >> ALSA: pcm_core: Fix wake_up() optimization
> >>
> >> This change fixes the "ALSA: pcm_lib - optimize wake_up() calls for PCM
> >> I/O" commit. New sleeping queue is introduced to separate user space
> >> and kernel space wake_ups. runtime->nowake is renamed to twake
> >> (transfer wake).
> >>
> >> Jaroslav: Can you share your thought as you are author of this patch?
> >
> > I don't understand what's the problem in this thread...
> >
> > The behavior of PAUSED stream in wait_for_avail() is clear.  If it's
> > woken up by some events, it simply goes to sleep again without exiting
> > the loop.
>
> We are facing the following issue and want to understand how ALSA is
> implemented pause, prepare and write if used asynchronously.
>
> for the every seek operation we issue pause and prepare, till now in all
> the system the issue of (pause + prepare) commands and write are
> serialized.
> we are trying to decouple the write and other operation (pause and
> prepare) to issue in commands asynchronously.
>
> Assume the case below, write is blocked in wait_for_avail as there is no
> space for the buffer, in between user issued seek on the same session this
> triggers pause and prepare operations.
>
> pause command will unblock the thread blocked in wait_for_avail, this
> unblocked thread once again check if buffer avail and if buffer is not
> avail it goes for wait in loop.
> after the pause operation is done, HAL issues prepare in prepare we reset
> the buffer but never unblock the thread waiting in the wait_for_avail.
> this results in write thread blocked forever and it never gets unblocked
> as a result the session is blocked.

What do you mean "prepare" in the context above?  Moving to
SND_PCM_STATE_PREPARE?  If so, you can't.  For preparing the stream,
you must stop the stream once.  So, you have to issue snd_pcm_drop(),
so that stream goes to SND_PCM_STATE_SETUP, then you can do prepare,
and restart.

In other words, from the PAUSED state, it can change to only either
RUNNING (via PAUSE_RESUME trigger) or SETUP (via snd_pcm_drop) state.
(There are other possible states like DRAINING, SUSPENDED or
 DISCONNECTED, but let's ignore now. )

Takashi