[alsa-devel] Timestamps using I/O Plugin

Johan Hellman johan.hellman at axis.com
Thu Jun 6 09:01:12 CEST 2013

After spending more time investigating how I would set monotonic timestamps from a new I/O plugin so that the app using ALSA lib could synchronize different audio streams I cant find that its possible!?

Can someone please confirm that it is not possible to set monotonic timestamps using the I/O plugin SDK!?

The new plugin would know the relationship between audio streams timestamp information and the systems monotonic clock. If it was possible to override the snd_pcm_htimestamp() then the timestamp could be fetched from the I/O plugin, and snd_pcm_status()->snd_pcm_ioplug_status() could call that overridden function to fill in tstamp into the status object.  If not implemented in the I/O plugin call snd_pcm_generic_real_htimestamp() as today.  Would this be an acceptable way forward?

/JohanHellman