[alsa-devel] Decibel Levels for Storm Medusa 5.1 USB Headset

Alexander Blinne alexander.blinne at uni-jena.de
Fri Jul 26 00:01:14 CEST 2013

Hello,

well I have to admit that those level were just a guess. I have now made
an accurate measurement of the real volume levels by playing back white
noise through the headset and recording with a microphone at the same
time, while increasing the hardware volume level with 'amixer'. Then i
have measured the volumes with audacity's contrast-analyzer and smoothed
the resulting curve by applying a nonlinear least squares fit with a
function a*log(x+d*x^2+e*x^3)+b+c*x, wich fits the data really well.

The resulting levels are:

0	invalid/unconclusive, sometimes mute, sometimes louder than 1. seems
not to be working correctly.

1	-24,91
2	-22,31
3	-20,10