[alsa-devel] [Audacity-devel] Questions about virtual ALSA driver (dummy), PortAudio and full-duplex drops

Richard Ash richard at audacityteam.org
Wed Jul 24 20:30:29 CEST 2013

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 04:54:00 +0200
Smilen Dimitrov <sd at imi.aau.dk> wrote:

> I ran this on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty, Linux 2.6.38 and corresponding ALSA
> 1.0.24.2, audacity-1.3.13, PortAudio V19 - more about my machine and
> environment setup is in the Readme:
>
>     http://sdaaubckp.sourceforge.net/post/alsa-patest-duplex/Readme

Please don't use such an old version of Audacity - we have updated our
Portaudio snapshot significantly since then. Bugs in obsolete code
really aren't interesting.

> In Audacity, as far as I could see, there is only one PortAudio
> callback defined (audacity-1.3.13/src/AudioIO.cpp has
> audacityAudioCallback;), so Audacity basically has a single "wire"
> callback for full-duplex.
Correct.

I can't help with anything else, sorry, except to agree with Alan that
you need to take as much as possible out of the equation to start with
- and that certainly means Audacity. If at all possible, use current
 versions of software, and a set-up that others can replicate as much
 as possible.

Richard