[alsa-devel] [BUG] 3.10.[01] modprobe snd-... hangs

Lucas De Marchi lucas.de.marchi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 18:03:13 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 5:28 AM, Philipp Hahn <pmhahn at pmhahn.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Dienstag 16 Juli 2013, 08:43:36 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
>> >
>> > Not a known problem to me, at least.  Perhaps it's a dep loop somehow.
>>
>> I remember that someone reported it being Debian specific snd-seq-oss
>
> FYI: "oss-compat" is installed.

>> > This was first, and it's waiting.  Which means it must be doing
>> > something weird, because snd_seq_oss is loading now:

>> > Perhaps in the tangle of modprobe install commands somewhere this gets
>> > invoked?
>>
>> Likely, but I wonder what triggered a bug suddenly on 3.10.
>> There is absolutely no change in sound/core/seq/*, and through a quick
>> look, I couldn't find any suspicious change in kernel/module.c that
>> may lead to this problem between 3.9 and 3.10.
>>
>> Philipp, can you get a sysrq-T trace while the stall?
>
> I've finally been able to reducte the number of processes to get a full trace; see attached file.
>
> Please note that in this case the proprietary "nvidia" module was loaded, since I currently onyl have remove access to the machine.
> The original trace from yesterday happend without the nvidia module ever being loaded.
>
> Am Dienstag 16 Juli 2013, 08:42:35 schrieb Lucas De Marchi:
>> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 2:41 AM, Rusty Russell <rusty at rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
>> First thing to check is the /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf file that contains
>> these install commands. Did they change besides the kernel upgrade?
>
> Not that I know of: Booting 3.9.9 works fine, 3.10.x shows the problem.

Then one possible explanation is that in 3.9.9 you don't have some of
the modules causing this problem

> [...]
> alias char_major_13_34 mousedev
> alias char_major_13_35 mousedev
> alias char_major_13_63 mousedev
> alias char_major_13_64 evdev
> alias char_major_13_65 evdev
> alias char_major_13_66 evdev
> alias char_major_13_67 evdev
> alias char_major_19_* cyclades
> alias char_major_20_* cyclades
> alias char_major_22_* pcxx
> alias char_major_23_* pcxx
> alias char_major_27_* ftape
> alias char_major_34_* scc
> alias char_major_35_* tclmidi
> alias char_major_48_* riscom8
> alias char_major_49_* riscom8
> alias char_major_57_* esp
> alias char_major_58_* esp
> alias char_major_63_* kdebug
> alias char_major_67_* coda
> alias char_major_75_* specialix
> alias char_major_76_* specialix
> alias char_major_81_* videodev
> alias char_major_83_* vtx
> alias char_major_89_* i2c_dev
> alias char_major_90_* mtdchar
> alias char_major_96_* pt
> alias char_major_97_* pg
> alias char_major_107_* 3dfx
> alias char_major_109_* lvm_mod
> alias char_major_166_* cdc_acm
> alias char_major_171_0 raw1394
> alias char_major_171_1 video1394
> alias char_major_171_2 dv1394
> alias char_major_171_3 amdtp
> alias char_major_180_* usbcore
> alias char_major_195_* nvidia
> alias char_major_200_* vxspec
> alias char_major_202_* msr
> alias char_major_203_* cpuid
> alias char_major_206_* osst
> alias char_major_208_* ussp
> alias char_major_227_* tub3270
> alias bt_proto_7 avdtp
> alias cipcb0 cipcb
> alias cipcb1 cipcb
> alias cipcb2 cipcb
> alias cipcb3 cipcb
> alias dummy0 dummy
> alias dummy1 dummy
> alias plip0 plip
> alias plip1 plip
> alias slip0 slip
> alias slip1 slip
> alias tunl0 ipip
> alias gre0 ip_gre
> alias usbdevfs usbcore
> alias char_major_195* nvidia
> options snd_pcsp index=-2
> options snd_usb_audio index=-2
> options bt87x index=-2
> options cx88_alsa index=-2
> options snd_atiixp_modem index=-2
> options snd_intel8x0m index=-2
> options snd_via82xx_modem index=-2
> options snd_hda_intel model=6stack-dig index=0
> options snd_usb_audio index=1
> options dvb_ttpci adapter_nr=1
> options budget_ci adapter_nr=0
> options nbd max_part=15
> options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=44 NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660
> options libata force=noncq
> options systemd log_target=kmsg
> softdep uhci_hcd pre: ehci-hcd
> softdep ohci_hcd pre: ehci-hcd
> softdep snd_pcm post: snd-pcm-oss
> softdep snd_mixer post: snd-mixer-oss
> softdep snd_seq post: snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss

hum... it looks like a loop between the modprobe calls and the
request_module(), done in snd_seq's init. The request_module() call
will end up trying to load snd_seq again and it will remain waiting on
kernel/module.c:add_unformed_module().

In kmod we don't trust a COMING state on sysfs to avoid calling
(f)init_module() because a) the previous call may fail and b) it's
racy.

Changing the request_module() in the module to be async would solve
the problem (what Takashi Iwai did)... but this has been a
little controversial in the past.  Rusty, what do you think? Maybe in
kmod we can take the COMING state into consideration for
*dependencies*? Or is moving that call to a worker acceptable?

Lucas De Marchi