[alsa-devel] [usb-audio] VIA/Audinst HUD-mx2: One of two PCM device is available for playback

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Sat Jul 6 13:21:09 CEST 2013

Thanks Clemens,

 > This device has multiple alternate settings for PCM and AC-3 playback.
 > The driver creates multiple devices for those because it has no other
 > mechanism to distinguish them.

I want to ask further question about this.

Can we realize whether the PCM device for AC-3 stream (hw:0,0) works or
not from the output of lsusb? The sound card has several outputs
(headphone, line, S/PDIF) and I don't know only hw:0,1 connects to all
of them or not.

 > Entires like these in ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf:
 >
 >    defaults.pcm.card 0
 >    defaults.pcm.device 1

But the device is connected by USB. The card ID differs depending on the
user's system. If the other sound card is identified as "card 0", this
setting is applied to it, not to the target device.

Can we write additional information to identify this sound card in these
line?

 > I'd guess the driver could be changed to enumerate alternate settings
 > in two steps, first for PCM formats, then for others.

This is a better solution. But I have a little knowledgement about USB
Audio Class and it's implementation to ALSA.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto