[alsa-devel] No sound with Sony VAIO VPCZ1 (ALC889)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 5 23:38:49 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-05 5:29, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>> This is the debian 3.9.6 kernel + alsa-compile to get "debug=2" for
>> snd.ko module to work as by default the CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set in
>> debian kernels.
>
> OK, looking at two outputs, the difference is that the recent kernel
> allows the 5.1 output configuration with two mic jacks.  But, this
> looks rather strange as a laptop.  Does the machine have really two
> microphone jacks?  The BIOS sets pins 0x18 and 0x19 are mic jacks.

I feel like this was the issue the LAST time it stopped working, too.
No, the system does not have two mic jacks - at least, there is only one
visible and accessible to the user on the outside of the case, on my
model.

> You have three items in "Capture Source", Internal Mic, Mic and Mic 1.
> Which inputs are working actually?  If one of the last two is bogus,
> we can disable it, then we can the unused pin.  For example, a patch
> to disable the pin 0x19 would be like below.

I don't have a working kernel on mine at present, but if Tormen can't
provide this info soon, I'll track one down and provide it. I expect
that one of the latter two inputs must be bogus.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey