[alsa-devel] M-Audio Audiophile 192 (ice1724)'s broken spdif capture

Jonas Petersen jnsptrsn1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 14:10:22 CET 2013

Am 29.01.2013 10:39, schrieb Pavel Hofman:
> @Pavel, btw. I also have an ESI Juli at . Spdif capture with this one
> does not
> work at all (as compared to "kind of working" with the Audiophile 192).
>>> Interesting. I am pretty sure I tested the SPDIF input of Juli quite
>>> extensively. It even reported the incoming samplerate correctly. How did
>>> you test it? Please list amixer contents and ak4114 regs here. Thanks.
>> I just tried again. The Juli just seem to freeze the whole alsa when I
>> try to access the spdif input.
> OK, let's do some troubleshooting. Do you have SPDIF signal present at
> Juli's input when you try to capture?

Yes, normally I have a 1 kHz Sine/-12dB(25%)/44100 coming in when testing.

> Does it lock the moment you open the capture stream (i.e. start the
> capturing), or when you switch the rate selector to IEC958-In?

I have the Juli card in another machine right now. I'm using the analog
out there, which is working fine. It's running a Ubuntu 12.10. 'uname
-a' says

Linux rakete 3.5.0-22-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 8 21:41:11 UTC 2013
i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

/proc/asound/version says:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.25.

I behaves like this:

If I switch 'Multi Track Internal Clock' to 'IEC958 In', the whole
system goes crazy. Not instantly, but when I start alsamixer it locks up
(only alsamixer, it can not be killed -9 then). When doing 'ps -aux' it
locks up somewhere in the middle of the list.
This is all with a signal going in the spdif input.
When I reboot (still with signal), the login screen locks up. I can move
the mouse, but I can not input the password. Also the background image
does not load (which normally does). I can switch to another terminal
(e.g. ctrl-alt-f1) and log in. But it will hang sooner or later.
No way switch back the 'Multi Track Internal Clock' to a fixed rate.
Only if I disconnect the signal from the spdif input and reboot, then I
can switch it back and bring the system back to reason. Pew...

- Jonas