[alsa-devel] ALSA versions versus kernel versions

Daniel Griscom griscom at suitable.com
Mon Jan 28 16:50:04 CET 2013

At 4:28 PM +0100 1/28/13, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>At Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:10:18 -0500,
>Daniel Griscom wrote:
>>
>>  I never got a response to my query,
>
>... because you're hanging your post to an utterly irrelevant thread?
>It's the second time, so I guess the previous time wasn't an
>accident.

How so? Is there a hidden email field that tracks threads independent
of the thread titles? If so, my apologies: my (antique) email client
must be doing things behind my back.

>  > not even an RTFM (although I'm
>>  pretty sure this isn't in the M). So, in case anyone else is
>>  wondering, here's what I've since found:
>>
>>  - The kernel packages do NOT limit themselves to taking an entire
>>  released ALSA package. In particular, the 3.6.X series has a number
>>  of improvements and changes that aren't in the latest (year old)
>>  alsa-driver 1.0.25 package. I'll guess that they're taken directly
>>  from the alsa GIT repository, but it's hard to know.
>
>The 1.0.25 *released* tarball is what was released.  It won't change.
>The tarball created from the latest GIT is called "snapshot".
>
>And note that the alsa-driver version number has been already
>deprecated in the recent kernel.  The confusing number 1.0.25 was
>dropped, finally.

Ah. Is there somewhere I could find out information such as this?

>In short, forget about alsa-driver released packages.  Stick with the
>driver included in your kernel, or use alsa-driver snapshot tarball
>(but carefully).
>
>>  - The alsa-driver package installs items that are NOT a part of the
>>  kernel package. The alsasound startup script and the ALSA headers are
>>  the examples I've found so far, but there may be more items.
>
>They are no longer necessary stuff, but kept there since they are
>mostly harmless.  You can run "make install-modules" to install only
>modules.

Is the installed /etc/init.d/alsasound not needed? It seems to do a
number of tasks when starting and stopping.

How do I install the ALSA headers without installing the rest of the
(obsolete) contents? "make install-headers" inside alsa-driver-1.0.25?

And, does alsa-driver install anything else outside of the kernel modules?