[alsa-devel] ALSA versions versus kernel versions

Daniel Griscom griscom at suitable.com
Fri Jan 25 16:10:18 CET 2013

I never got a response to my query, not even an RTFM (although I'm
pretty sure this isn't in the M). So, in case anyone else is
wondering, here's what I've since found:

- The kernel packages do NOT limit themselves to taking an entire
released ALSA package. In particular, the 3.6.X series has a number
of improvements and changes that aren't in the latest (year old)
alsa-driver 1.0.25 package. I'll guess that they're taken directly
from the alsa GIT repository, but it's hard to know.

- The alsa-driver package installs items that are NOT a part of the
kernel package. The alsasound startup script and the ALSA headers are
the examples I've found so far, but there may be more items.

- When installed, the alsa-driver package installs its modules into
the currently running kernel's directories. So, if you want to have
the latest system, you need to install the kernel, reboot into that
kernel, install alsa-driver, reinstall the kernel, and reboot again.
Ugh.

<rant>
ALSA's Achilles heel has always been its documentation, whether for
developers (the Doxygen-generated documents are at times comically
uninformative) or for end-users (e.g. the lack of information such as
the above). Please: those of you in the know, spend some time
documenting this powerful and confusing system. Yes, you know how to
use it, but isn't the goal to have it support the thousands/millions
of audio users out there, and not just the dozen or so core ALSA
developers?
</rant>

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel T. Griscom             griscom at suitable.com
Suitable Systems              http://www.suitable.com/
1 Centre Street, Suite 204    (781) 665-0053
Wakefield, MA  01880-2400