[alsa-devel] spdif input, source synchronous?

Rafal Powierski powierski at mediascore.de
Wed Jan 23 22:19:02 CET 2013

Dave,

it took me some time, but I finally got a proper equipment to test ALC886
SPDIF input. (hw:1,1,0)
The test results show that the input is not "source synchronous"

experiment:
Analog->digital (spdif,toslink) Audio converter box, where internal crystal
is removed and replaced with precision adjustable PLL-based gen.
2 simple independent sinus audio generators, providing audio source for ADC
L,R inputs

software:
stream consequent samples (L,R) are compared.
frequency of identical consequent samples (32bits) is calculated (ppm)
results:
crystal marking is: 12288000 = 256*48kHz

gen. Hz | gen. ppm | duplicate probability (ppm)

12288000     0        0
12287856    -11.72    2
12287840    -13.02    4
12287824    -14.32    5
12287808    -15.62    7
12287792    -16.93    9
12287776    -18.22    10
12287760    -19.53    13
12287744    -20.83    14
12287728    -22.13    16
12287712    -23.44    17
12287696    -24.74    18
12287680    -26.04    20
12287664    -27.34    21

It seams that my HDA clock is a bit slower then definition ( about -10ppm)
Therefore resampling starts below -10ppm
It probably means that when spdif signal is 0ppm, about 10ppm of samples are
missing.

Is this a bug? or it is planed like this?
Is this a software problem or hardware problem (codec or DMA sequencer) or
configuration problem?
since it is not a real resampling (no signal reconstruction takes place)
samples are just repeated or skipped,
it seams not right to me.
Who could comment on this?

Regards,