[alsa-devel] [patch] 18i6 mixer implementation -- was Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 mixer

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Jan 20 20:25:07 CET 2013

On 01/18/2013 05:05 AM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> Hi,
> I've started to reverse engineer the 18i6 mixer protocol and came up
> with a proof-of-concept test script which includes documentation:
>   https://github.com/x42/scarlettmixer
> Except for a few fixed controls and switches, the 18i6's mixer and
> router is [likely] too complex to be exposed via ALSA's mixer interface.
> AFAICT it'll require a dedicated control application - like hdspmixer -
> in order to make full use of it.

OK. I'll eat my words on that. While a dedicated app will certainly be
more appropriate to access the 18x6 mixter matrix and routing schema.
The whole interface can be exported as standard ALSA mixer:

The patch is rather large, please view it on github:

It is based on the latest git.alsa-project.org/alsa-driver.git but
rebases cleanly onto vanilla and rt linux. Tested on debian/wheezy with
linux 3.2.35-2-rt.

Comments and feedback are welcome.