[alsa-devel] libao problem (Re: No dmix/dsnoop on Intel ICH4/5 by default?)

Rene Herman rene.herman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:44:44 CET 2013

On 17-01-13 13:12, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Rene Herman wrote:

>> I can mix as many streams as I want using just "aplay" but if I start
>> by playing one track with "ogg123" (which uses a default, unconfigured
>> libao as its backend), I can't start a second ogg123, which then says:
>>
>> ao_alsa WARNING: Unable to open surround playback.  Trying default device...
>
> The default dmix is for stereo only.  For a surround dmix device, you'd
> have to write your own definition.

Thank you. I didn't notice it was related due to the "trying default
device" which I thought should've worked but the issue is that libao
1.1.0 doesn't use the alsa "default" device by default. The first ogg123
instance therefore keeps things busy.

There's a matching bug-rapport here, I see:

https://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1776

I can, now, set it to dev=default manually but what this means is that
libao-1.1.0 by default kills alsa default software mixing. These days
everybody seems to have regressed to using a soundserver again anyway
and as such not many may notice, but this izz no good, I feel... :-/

In any case, hope this was useful to alsa-devel in the sense that this
libao behavior is now known here, but this is otherwise libao related
only, then.

Regards,
Rene