[alsa-devel] HDA regression on Fujitsu S7020 laptop (ALC260 codec)

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Sun Jan 13 05:39:36 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 03:48:57PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Node 0x10 is notionally labelled "headphone pin" in the ALC260 datasheet.
>
> You can forget the pin notion in the datasheet.  It's just pin
> assignment Realtek thought as a standard arrangement.

Absolutely - that was abundantly clear when I first added the S7020 details
years ago.  The comment was only made in an attempt to make the comments in
the original driver clearer to those reading them now.

> > I've just looked now.  3.3.5 was booted, alsamixer does not show any
> > "automute" control to enable or disable this.  In any case, automute is
> > certainly not happening, so I'm guessing the answer to your question is no.
>
> There is no automute behavior switching control in the 3.3.x kernel
> driver, so no wonder :)

I wasn't surprised since I thought this too.  However, I was asked to test
it so I did.

> I took a look at your alsa-info.sh outputs now, but unfortunately I
> see no obvious problem there.  At least, the path to the speaker looks
> sane:
> :
> And all GPIOs are cleared too.

Agreed.  Given that the headphone jack works and the respective pin
definition is very similar, I also can't see any obvious reason why things
are getting messed up.  Something subtle perhaps?

> The differences are that the old driver cleared unused pins such as
> 0x0f, 0x11, 0x13 and 0x15.  Could you try to set the pin ctl to 0 for
> these widgets via hda-verb on the fly?

I will try this, hopefully in the next few days.  Like you I suspect, I
can't see that this should make any difference to the speaker's ability to
put out audio or to ALSA's ability to populate alsa-mixer correctly, but
it's easy enough to eliminate it through testing.

> Other than that, the headphone jack is set up with the HP amp and the
> mic is with VREF 50.  They can be changed on the fly, too.

I'll run through some of these variations and let you know the result.

I noticed your big refactoring patch go past last week.  Is there anything
in there which I should test in relation to the ALC260 / Fujitsu issue
we've been discussing, or should I await further info?

Regards
  jonathan