[alsa-devel] HDA regression on Fujitsu S7020 laptop (ALC260 codec)

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Sat Jan 5 08:27:06 CET 2013

On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 05:45:10AM +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> >>Meanwhile, there is hda-jack-retask utility (in the alsa-tools
> >>package) that might be helpful for Jonathan?
> >
> >I discovered that utility during my initial investigations.  Unfortunately
> >it requires GTK3 and I have not yet had an opportunity to upgrade the laptop
> >to a distro version which includes it.  Given my schedule I suspect it's
> >going to be several months before I get the chance.
>
> Maybe I should add an ncurses interface ;-)

:-) I for one would find it useful (even after I have gtk3 on the machine).

> Anyway, if it's easier for you to read the HDA spec than upgrading
> your laptop, you can use the kernel interfaces directly using a
> "firmware patch" file or reconfigure sysfs. This is what
> hda-jack-retask uses.

That's interesting.  I'll definitely take a look at the documentation you
mentioned.  Then again, if the full fix isn't too far away I may just stick
with 3.3.5 until that becomes available.  That probably comes down to how
much time Takashi has.

> Or a compromise; boot up a live-CD of a newer distro, create the
> firmware file with hda-jack-retask, then copy the result back to
> your current distro setup.

I'll look into this too.  I would need multiple such firmwares to cope with
different configurations (they are sometimes switched on the fly) but like
you said, it would be another interim solution.

Regards
  jonathan