[alsa-devel] Query about SNDRV_PCM_FORMAT_S24_LE

Patrick Lai plai at codeaurora.org
Thu Feb 28 09:08:46 CET 2013

Hi,

The DSP I am working with currently supports 24-bit PCM sample in
32-bit data space but with LSB padded. Based on the discussion I found
on line, SNDRV_PCM_FORMAT_S24_LE is defined to be 24-bit PCM sample in
32-bit data space with MSB padded. Also, there is no format macro
defined for the format which my DSP supports. Please correct me if I am
wrong. Furthermore, which software layer in audio stack of a typical
linux distribution such as ubuntu handles the padding. I don't think
it's handled by the alsa library. Does application or pulseaudio handle
the padding? I would think it's done in pulseaudio. I have not study
pulseaudio codec extensively but would think someone on the mailing
list can give a quick answer.

Thanks
Patrick