[alsa-devel] Takashi: please help (compiling alsa-driver)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Feb 13 07:51:19 CET 2013

At Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:58:37 +0100,
Jonas Petersen wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
>
> I'm talking to you directly because this
>
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz
>
> is the only alsa-driver source that I'm able to compile so far. I can unpack this and simply run ./configure && make && make install. It works great. (I compile against the kernel-headers from ubuntu).
>
> I spent hours in trying to compile from several other sources.
>
> * The plain1.0.25 release (complains about missing symbols).
> * The snapshots fromhttp://www.alsa-project.org/snapshot/  (will complain about missing 'uapi' stuff)
> * Btw. where did the snapshots fromhttp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/alsa/  go (Advertised here:http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Download)?
> * Checked out alsa-driver from git. But no luck, tried many things. e.g.: Branch release, then autoconf, but not even ./configure succeeds.
>
> Id like to submit some patches and be able to work with the current state from git. How is that supposed to work?
>
> Btw. I often read that the alsa-kernel is needed to compile. But it is not neede with this above mentioned 'unstable-snapshot'. It will just compile against the ubuntu kernel-headers (Lubuntu 12.10).
>
> How do you generate these snapshots?

You need to have two git trees: sound.git tree containing the complete
Linux kernel tree, and alsa-driver-build.git containing only the build
stub for external builds.

In the recent change, alsa-driver-build.git (or equivalent with
alsa-driver.git in alsa-project.org) contains only README in master
branch.  Checkout build branch instead.  Then you'll get the whole
build stuff in alsa/ subdirectory.  Go into alsa subdirectory, then
run
	ALSAKERNELDIR=../../sound ./gitcompile --with-debug=full --enable-dynamic-minors

Alternatively, you can pull the alsa-driver-built git into kernel tree
directly.  Then go to alsa subdirectory and run gitcompile.  In that
case, you can omit passing "ALSAKERNELDIR=..." argument.