[alsa-devel] channel names

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Fri Feb 8 08:07:47 CET 2013

On 02/08/13 07:52, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 07 Feb 2013 22:23:15 +0100,
> Adrian Knoth wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Am I missing something or doesn't ALSA support channel names?
>> When dealing with multichannel interfaces, it's pretty inconvenient to
>> remember whether channel 193 is on MADI 3, AES-EBU or phones.
>> We can address this on the jackd level, however, since OSX allows audio
>> drivers to name their channels, I wonder how to do the same with ALSA?
> It's possible to give some information via the new channel map API,
> but things like AES-EBU or phone aren't defined there.  We'd need new
> value definitions for such.

There might be interfaces that change the type of connection depending
on the current configuration (clock setting, pluggable hardware modules

In the hdsp(m) and marian drivers I added ports.in and ports.out in
/proc which contain a list with the current physical port names. It is a
quick hack, but it works fine together with a patch for jack that
imports this list.

Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key B3B9226C