[alsa-devel] [RFC] compress: add support for gapless playback

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed Feb 6 14:32:53 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 11:54:19PM -0800, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 08:44:42PM -0600, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

> > >+snd_compr_set_metadata(struct snd_compr_stream *stream, unsigned long arg)
> > >+{
> > >+	struct snd_compr_metadata *metadata;
> > >+	int retval;
> > >+
> > >+	if (!stream->ops->set_metadata)
> > >+		return -ENXIO;

> > Is this really a fatal error? Or do we want to mandate that gapless
> > be supported by all implementations?

> Fatal err? if DSP doesnt support metadata callback then we are reporting error
> ENXIO to userpsace. No we shouldnt mandate, its upto DSP folks to see what they
> should and can support.

Well, up to userspace to see how it handles the error anyway.  For
example an application may want to fall back to PCM playback with
gapless done on the CPU if the driver doesn't do it.  But then given
that there's more than one piece of metadata in the struct perhaps we
need some way for the application to figure out what's supported?