[alsa-devel] hda problem on Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard

Guillaume Desclaux guillaume at desclaux.fr
Mon Dec 23 14:21:56 CET 2013

Hi,

I've reported an issue with snd-hda-intel with my Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
motherboard on Launchpad but it seems not the best place to that

See :https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1248116

In "Volume control PulseAudio", I can see pulseaudio changing the audio
output "Internal Audio Analogic Stereo". The port switch rapidly from
"Analogic output" to "Analogic headphones" making a jerky sound.

You can find the trace.log file here :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1248116/+attachment/3934401/+files/trace.log

It seems that there are many hda_power_count

1/ This problem appears with the front connector on the motherboard connected to a HDA front panel on the case (I've double-checked the connection)
2/ The problem still appears when the front connector on the motherboard is not connected at all to the case !
3/ This bug seems quite common with Gigabyte motherboard : If you search with Google "Gigabyte Z87X hda" you will find other descriptions of this same strange behavior :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1242302
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1067434

If I disable jack detection by specifying a hint for early patching (jack_detect = no), the sound is cristal clear !

If there is anything I can do to help you understand what happens, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards

Guillaume