[alsa-devel] emi62 (may be slightly off-topic)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Dec 11 15:34:46 CET 2013

At Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:04:22 -0500,
Monty Montgomery wrote:

> Karl just reminded me that I never sent a link to my up-to-date out of
> tree eMagic driver update.  Here's the latest version:
>
> http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/emagic/emi-20131209.tgz
>
> This includes the latest/correct firmware for the 2|6 and 6|2m (not
> the same as shipped in the kernel).  It builds a single emi.ko that
> functions as a loader for both devices.
> There's the usual make and make install target, as well as a
> 'remove-old' target that kills off the old installed firmware and
> emi26/62 modules.
>
> The Makefile is a bit slapdash, hopefully it doesn't misbehave.
>
> I've mentioned it before, but the current in-kernel loader (and
> official firmware) are both outright broken. I'm happy enough to
> maintain this out of kernel (since there were objections to updating
> the firmware), but the in-tree / mainline stuff should be either
> updated or removed.  It simply doesn't work.

Monty, would you submit the emi driver patch to upstream?  We can keep
the old EMI26 and EMI62 at first but make them conflicting with EMI
driver via Kconfig.  The external firmware files are maintained in
linux-firmware tree nowadays.  Once all things get merged, the old
emi26/62 can be faded away.

Looking through the tarball and codes, my only concern is the license
of the new firmware files...

thanks,