[alsa-devel] caiaq driver: audio 4 dj and jackd

Alan Horstmann gineera at aspect135.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 20:48:57 CET 2013

On Monday 02 December 2013 16:14, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 08:00 AM, Daniel Mack wrote:
> >> TBH, the whole substream concept is lost on me.  Where does this
> >> guarantee come from?  From the substream concept or from intimate
> >> knowledge of this device?
> >
> > Both :)

<snip>

> > What are your results with the multi plugin? Is that something you can
> > live with?
>
> I don't actually have one of these devices and the end-user I was
> helping is happy now, AFAIK.
>
> But solving this required editing asoundrc files (ugh) and casting
> several magic spells.  Would be nice if it "just works."

The same problem occurs with Portaudio on this device (or similar) - it would
be great to just be able to open one device with 4 channels, or 2 stereo
pairs.

I had wondered whether it could be done by some card-specific definitions in
eg /usr/share/alsa/cards as is done particularly with PCI cards??  Anybody
any ideas?

Gabriel, could you post the multi pcm you worked out for this, as it may help
others?

Regards

Alan